Rehearsals for Pippin are Underway

Tech Dancers and Trinae Payton, playing The Leading Player, are rehearsing one of their dances.

Yazmeen Proctor, Features Editor

Spring Grove Area High School’s 2019 Spring musical is Pippin. On February 7, I stayed after school to sit in on a rehearsal. Although I did not stay the whole duration of the rehearsal, it was still a very cool experience.

Since the rehearsals usually begin at 3 o’clock, some students just go straight to the auditorium at 2:30 and hang out. Most tech dancers are goofing off on the stage, making up their own dance moves, practicing turns, or stretching. The rest of the leading players and ensemble were sitting in the front seats of the auditorium and chatting or working together on homework.

During this time, I talked with Bailey Phillips, a leading player and tech dancer, and asked her if she enjoys being a part of the making of Pippin. She says that the rehearsals are really time-consuming but she absolutely loves them. In fact, she claims that she gets a post-musical depression because afterwards she doesn’t know what to do with her time.

I also talked to Grace Gordon, Sandy Cheng, and Abby Mummert, who are all a part of the ensemble this year. Abby Mummert said, “I’ve been in ensemble every year, but it’s still very important to the show. You can’t really have a show without ensemble.”

Grace Gordon added, “we add to everything. It would be very awkward if it was just leading players.”

As I watched the play rehearsals, this became clear to me as well. Students in ensemble move around the stage a lot and are very expressive, which helps convey a mood for the audience to feel while watching.

As the rehearsal began, I saw that more goes on then just singing. There is dancing, staging, blocking, and of course vocals. Sometimes scenes would have to be done over and over so students would get the moves rights.

However, all of the cast members took the corrections their director, Jess Staub, was giving them and worked hard to get everything right. Those in the play recommend you come out to see them perform.

Showtimes are 7 p.m. on March 1st, 7 p.m. on March 2nd, and 2 p.m. on March 3rd. Tickets are $7 for students and $9 for adults before the shows begin and can be purchased in the office or online. Tickets can also be purchased at the door, but there will be an additional $2 added to the price of each ticket.

Before rehearsal, students were hanging out on and off stage.
Tech Dancers, leading roles, and ensemble are practicing getting their performance of “Glory” right.
Peyton Rohrbaugh, playing Pippin, rehearsing his lines.