Measles Outbreak in York County

Measles Outbreak in York County

Maizie Ecker, News Editor

Measles is a highly contagious but vaccine-preventable disease that spreads through coughing, sneezing or other contact of an infected person. On Saturday, Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine issued an alert to residents who visited several locations throughout York County from September 9th to 12th that might have been exposed to measles. 

The locations and times when residents may have been exposed include:

– Crunch Fitness- York, 905 Loucks Rd., York, PA on Sept. 9 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:10 a.m.
– Sheetz, 215 Arsenal Rd., York, PA, on Sept. 11 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
– Central York Middle School, 1950 N. Hills Rd., York, PA, on Sept. 11 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:10 p.m.
– Central York High School, 601 Mundis Mill Rd., York, PA, on Sept. 12 from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
– WellSpan Stony Brook Health Center, 4222 E. Market St., Lincoln Hwy. York, PA on Sept. 9 from 9:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Sept. 10 from 7:15 a.m. to 6:45 p.m.; Sept. 11 from 7:15 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.; Sept 12 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

“We have a second individual with a suspected case of measles, which can be highly contagious,” Secretary Levine said. “WellSpan Health is in the process of notifying patients, staff and visitors who were in WellSpan Stony Brook Health Center during the identified times; however, if you have been properly immunized against measles, your risk of getting the disease is minimal.” To date, there have been 14 confirmed cases of measles in Pennsylvania. There have been over 1,200 cases reported in the US in 2019, which is the greatest number of measles reported since 1992.